District Police arrest man for sexual assault on campus

Joseph Barkoff / Oak Leaf
Analy Hall, where a female student initially reported a sexual assault.

Santa Rosa Junior College District Police arrested a Petaluma man who authorities say assaulted a female student in front of Analy Hall Thursday afternoon as she stood on the stairs with another student.

Ernesto Angulo, 32, was arrested after the victim said he approached her for a hug and “grabbed her buttocks,” according to SRJC District Police. 

Just prior to the arrest, District Police responded to calls that a man was “aggressively hitting on” female students in front of Doyle Library. The assault victim approached officers as they interviewed the other women outside Doyle.

Police found Angulo sitting in front of the library and questioned him, but “his story did not align with the victim’s story or any of the other eyewitnesses’ [accounts],” Police Chief Robert Brownlee said. 

District Police arrested Angulo on one count of sexual battery and booked him into the Sonoma County Jail. He is being held on $5,000 bail. 

Angulo has no affiliation with the JC and is prohibited from visiting any SRJC property for seven days. He is scheduled to appear in court at 8:30 a.m. Sept. 19.