SRJC football coach arrested on suspicion of murder following drunk-driving incident

California Highway Patrol booked a Santa Rosa Junior College assistant football coach into the Sonoma County Jail Nov. 6 on two charges of drunk driving and suspicion of murder after he crossed into oncoming traffic and drove head on into a Sonoma State student’s sedan on Lakeville Highway. She died on the scene.

Logologoa “Logo” Tevaseu, 35, was suspected of driving drunk southbound on Lakeville Highway and was allegedly passing other southbound vehicles when his 2006 Dodge Ram pickup collided with Paulette Quiba’s 2015 Toyota Corolla, which was traveling north.

Tevaseu was convicted of drunken driving in 2012 in Sonoma County, which caused CHP to charge him with murder in this case rather than the lesser charge—manslaughter.

He played football for two seasons for the Bear Cubs, he was an all conference linebacker and then transferred to Texas Christian University in 2003. He returned to coach at SRJC years later, along with his younger brother, former NFL defensive lineman Martin Tevaseu.

Quiba, a business major in her junior year, moved with her family 10 years ago from the Philippines to Oakley, Calif., where she attended Freedom High School. She moved away from her home to attend Sonoma State University in 2015.

When the truck collided with Quiba, it caused three other vehicles to crash, sandwiching her between two of them with her still inside.

CHP officers, paramedics and firefighters arrived on the scene and CHP closed that area of Lakeville Highway at Highway 37 and Old Lakeville Road. Three people were transported to Memorial Hospital to be treated for moderate injuries.