Day Under the Oaks to happen Sunday

An abundance of entertaining, academic and cultural activities and events will blanket the grounds of the Santa Rosa Junior College campus for the annual spring celebration of Day Under the Oaks  from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday, May 3.
The festivities will begin on the Doyle patio with a presentation of the Hula Kahiko, an ancient Hawaiian dance expressing Hawaii’s most revered goddess Pele, followed by the contemporary Hawaiian dance Hula ‘Auana, preformed by the Kēhaulani Hula Studio.
SRJC President Dr. Frank Chong will present the Welcome and Awards Ceremony at 11:30 a.m. on the Doyle patio preceding various other entertaining and cultural events.
Among these events will be a performance from the SRJC Hip Hop Dance Team Mayhem at noon, a Tai Chi demonstration at 12:45 p.m., the Redwood Empire Chinese Association Traditional Lion Parade and Cultural Performance at 1 p.m., a Hawaiian musical performance by award-winning artist Faith Ako at 2:45 p.m. and finally a quartet performance by Now and Zen at 3 p.m.
Near the math and science buildings, which will be designated as the Nick Anast 2015 Memorial Area in honor of the late professor, there will be a variety of interactive and amusing science activities for people of all ages.
Planetarium shows will play every 45 minutes in Lark Hall beginning at 10:30 a.m., a chemistry magic show involving flames and explosions (which may not be appropriate for very young children) at 11 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. in Bech Hall and a physics light show in 1786 Shuhaw Hall at 12:15 p.m. and 2:45 p.m.
At the commencement stage, several bands will perform for the festival goers: the SRJC Symphonic Band at 10:45 a.m., the SRJC Jazz Band at 12:45 p.m. and the SRJC Jazz Combos at 1:45 p.m.
Athletes and fitness lovers will also have events and activities to engage in, starting with the Bear Cub Athletic Trust’s “3K Under the Oaks” walk and run marathon at 9 a.m. The SRJC Rolling Bears Power Soccer team will be demonstrating their prowess in Tauzer Gym at 11:30 a.m. Then at 1:30 p.m. spectators can watch the wheelchair basketball game between the Santa Rosa Blazers and the Fresno Wheelers.
Other events to be found around campus include the Native American Spring Celebration, arts and crafts projects, face painting, jumpy houses and a bubble-blowing contest. Various SRJC clubs will also have booths around campus sharing information about their club, selling club merchandise and hosting their own activities.
Several first-aid and water stations will be spread over campus and food trucks located in Burbank Circle.