Bear Cubs outfielder and pitcher Alex Leopard strikes out the side to close out the 21-9 victory against College of Marin on Tuesday, Feb. 21, 2023 in Santa Rosa.
Bear Cubs Spotlight: Alex Leopard
Oliver Kindt, Sports Reporter • February 26, 2024
An additional four to six-week delay faces students who have already submitted their FAFSA for 2024-2025 academic year.
FAFSA Updates Result in More Delays
Amy Moore, Reporter • February 14, 2024

Power of the Purse Preview

Buy a purse, help a student. That is the purpose of the Power of the Purse event put on by the Santa Rosa Junior College’s Women in Philanthropy.

The Women in Philanthropy community is part of SRJC’s Foundation and have been around for two years working with women who help SRJC students. For this event, there is a silent auction of purses and handbags with all proceeds going towards helping SRJC students with scholarships.

“We’re very excited,” said Sarah Laggos, Foundation’s alumni relations and annual fund director. “Come, come, come!”

The event starts at 5–7 p.m. Feb. 6 at the Bertolini Student Center. Besides the auction, the event will have hors d’oeuvres, cocktails and guest speaker Maureen Merrill from Rotary International.

“We’re really hoping it becomes an annual event to focus on what women philanthropists do and especially what they do for the JC,” Laggos said.“Women are often overlooked.”

So far the women have collected 70 purses but are still taking more new and gently used purses and handbags at the Foundation Office at 1990 Armory Drive up until Feb. 4.

Tickets are $40 and can be purchased at www.santarosa.edu/foundation until Feb. 5.