Flu Season: How to Avoid an Epidemic this Winter

The flu can be heard across the Santa Rosa Junior College campus with a chorus of sniffles and an ensemble of coughs. This orchestra is recruiting members and you could be its next soloist.

Influenza, more commonly known as the flu, has taken over the country. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 48 states have reported widespread activity of the illness as of Jan. 12. The CDC has officially called this flu an epidemic.

With flu activity on the rise, students and staff at the SRJC show mixed reactions.

Friends Daniel Lum and Zack Allen have taken no precautions this flu season. They usually don’t get sick and maintain healthy lifestyles. Lum does this by “getting exercise and eating healthy.”

Others are actively avoiding the flu. Reina Martinez, an administrative assistant at SRJC, is protecting herself from this season’s flu.

“I am very aware of washing my hands,” Martinez said, who makes sure to do so before eating or touching her face. While Martinez is taking safety measures, she is wary of getting vaccinated.

Never a fan of flu shots, Martinez said, “I support people getting flu shots but haven’t gotten it myself.”

Washing hands often, keeping away from people that are sick and maintaining good overall health protect the body from influenza exposure.

Getting vaccinated is also recommended since it can help defend against catching the flu, or reduce its severity and length.

The SRJC Student Health Services provided 250 flu vaccinations to SRJC students from September until they ran out on Jan. 17.
Susan Quinn, the director of the Student Health Services, said the center is now referring students to other locations in the community where they can receive flu shots.

The website www.flu.gov helps find local stores like Safeway, CVS and Walgreens that are providing vaccinations to the public. Prices vary by location. A private health provider can also provide students with the flu vaccine.

“The idea is to prevent the public from getting the flu,” said Dale Jewell, the pharmacy manager at the Safeway on Mendocino Avenue. Jewell advises the public to get their flu shot to avoid sick days or hospitalization. “It’s quick, easy and way better than getting the flu,” Jewell said.

Even with students taking precautions this flu season, becoming ill is still possible. Sick students face the decision between staying home and being marked absent or going to school and risk getting more sick, as well as infecting others.

Many students feel pressured to show up to class to avoid falling behind or risk being dropped due to excessive absences.

Quinn advises students to communicate with teachers while sick in order to meet requirements for their class.  She hopes that teachers will work with students to help them succeed.

Quinn believes it’s crucial that students stay home to reduce exposure of the illness to other students, as well as get much needed rest. “You got to have your health to be successful,” she said.