Successful student: Respectable resources

Students can rent textbooks and receive free tutoring at the Frank P. Doyle Library.

Here at Santa Rosa Junior College, home of the Bear Cubs, we’re a community. When a student is hurt, sad or just needs help, fellow students, faculty and alumni rise to the occasion to help a fellow Bear Cub. In honor of that spirit, here are some great, free resources available to any SRJC student.

Inside the library

Inside the library there are four desks: Circulation, Reference, Periodical and Reserve. All of them are on the second floor except for the Reserve Desk, which is located on the fourth.

The Circulation Desk rents out calculators, iPads and Dell laptops for a portion of time or the entire semester. All you need to rent these resources is a student ID card, which can be purchased for $3 at Student Affairs. If you can’t afford the $3, they can print you out a temporary one for free.

The Periodical Desk distributes hard copies of journals, magazines, newspapers, headphones and dry-erase markers. It can also reserve study rooms.

You can find librarians at the Reference Desk. They are there to help you look for materials for research papers. They can help with tricky citations, and they offer a free, half-hour research planning appointment.

If you have a big research paper coming up and don’t quite know where to start, you can schedule a research assistance appointment with them to collaborate ideas. These appointments can be scheduled online at

libraries.santarosa.edu.

At the Reserve Desk, you can rent out textbooks for two hours at a time. Although you have to keep the book within the library during this period, the time constraint can help you focus on your homework.  

According to ccctechedge.org, within the first nine days of school, students checked out 4,807 books from library reserves.

Free tutoring

As Bear Cubs, we can help one another with our studies. There are multiple free tutoring opportunities on campus.

MESA has drop-in tutoring for math, science and engineering. You can find their schedule at mesa.santarosa.edu

Math tutoring is available in the math lab and lounge in Shuhaw Hall. Help is available Monday through Thursday from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. and on Fridays from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.

On the Santa Rosa campus, the tutoring center is located under the library on the first floor of Doyle. Tutors can help with math, chemistry, physics, biology, English and ESL. It’s open Monday through Thursday from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. and on Fridays from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.

On the Petaluma campus it is located on the second floor of Kathleen Doyle Hall. It’s open Monday through Thursday from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. and on Fridays from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Smarthinking is an online tutoring system that allows you to work with tutors live through its White Board messaging platform. This service is available through your cubby.  Tutors can help you with math and English.

If you need help with an essay, you can turn it in to Writing Feedback and it will be returned to you through the Tutor Response Form. Specific written comments from your tutor will focus on the weak and strong areas of your essay.

Health services

Student health services are free, confidential and available to every SRJC student. Nurse practitioners are on site to help you with uncomplicated medical issues. Health Services also discounted immunizations and reproductive health resources and counseling.

Students can obtain free adhesive bandages, condoms, cough drops and pain relievers over the counter. The Santa Rosa location is in the Race Building and the Petaluma location is in the Richard Call building.

Mental health services

Mental health services are also free and confidential for SRJC students. Specialists can arrange individual, couple and group counseling. Contact mental health services for help in a supportive, non-judgmental environment at (707) 527-4445.