Fully-staffed SGA begins semester

Fully-staffed SGA begins semester

Newly-elected Student Government Assembly President Eduardo Osorío Juárez presides over the first meeting of the Santa Rosa Junior College fall semester next to Vice President of Student Life Jocelyn Toscano-Contreras.

Séamus Reed

Séamus Reed

Séamus Reed

Séamus Reed, News Editor

Newly elected Student Government Assembly President Eduardo Osorío Juárez led his first fall semester meeting with a fully-staffed SGA Monday.

Student representatives voted to fill the role of vice president of student life for the Petaluma campus, after two candidates made speeches and answered sitting members’ questions .

After deliberation, the committee appointed Rosa Colin, a third-year sociology major, to represent the Petaluma student body.

Following Colin’s appointment, Juárez’s student government started the semester with a full roster in contrast to last semester’s low turnout.

Zack Miranda, coordinator for student government programs, unveiled a possible revamp for the SRJC student portal.

The assembly moved to allocate $500 for a student employee to take notes during SGA meetings and send them to the meeting’s chair.

The body did not have time to discuss the Guided Pathways initiative, which the Academic Senate and administration voted to adopt last winter.

The controversial statewide program aims to streamline students’ time in community college and increase transfer and completion rates across the California community college system.