Bear Cubs outfielder and pitcher Alex Leopard strikes out the side to close out the 21-9 victory against College of Marin on Tuesday, Feb. 21, 2023 in Santa Rosa.
Bear Cubs Spotlight: Alex Leopard
Oliver Kindt, Sports Reporter • February 26, 2024
An additional four to six-week delay faces students who have already submitted their FAFSA for 2024-2025 academic year.
FAFSA Updates Result in More Delays
Amy Moore, Reporter • February 14, 2024

SRJC Latinx Faculty and Staff Association host student talent show

The+Santa+Rosa+Junior+College+Latinx+Faculty+and+Staff+Association+is+presenting+the+college%E2%80%99s+first+ever+student+variety+talent+show%2C+the+Latinx+Carpa%2C+which+shows+Sept.+29+at+the+Luther+Burbank+Auditorium.+
Courtesy Latinx Faculty and Staff Association
The Santa Rosa Junior College Latinx Faculty and Staff Association is presenting the college’s first ever student variety talent show, the Latinx Carpa, which shows Sept. 29 at the Luther Burbank Auditorium.

Come witness or participate in showcasing the hidden talent of the Santa Rosa Junior College community at the Latinx Carpa Student Talent Show from 6-8 p.m. Sept. 29 at the Burbank Auditorium.

Presented by the SRJC Latinx Faculty and Staff Association (LFSA), the show is part of the Herencia Series, which focuses on promoting indigenous and Latinx culture at SRJC.

Carpa, or “tent” in Spanish, refers to a type of traveling theater in the early 20th century, in which groups put on family entertainment under canvas tents, similar to circuses, and included a variety of skits, comedy acts, music and dance performances and even movies.

The association urges participants to stick to the Carpe and Herencia theme, but they are free to perform as they wish. SRJC students have priority registration, but alumni, faculty, staff and the public are able to participate if space is available. Performances are limited to three to four minutes each. Visit the Latinx Carpa Student Talent Show webpage to register to be in the show or for more information. The deadline to register is 5 p.m. Friday, Sept. 16. For more information about performing, visit the participation guidelines webpage. The LFSA also needs volunteers to serve as ushers.

“So many of our students are incredibly talented, and we can’t wait to show our community just how amazing they are,” said Beatriz Camargo, LFSA President.

For questions about the show or volunteering, contact Beatriz at [email protected], or visit https://lfsa.santarosa.edu/latinxcarpa.

Full COVID-19 vaccination or proof of negative test within 72 hours is required to participate or attend the event.

Peter Morales, Editor
Peter Morales is in his fourth semester reporting for The Oak Leaf and working towards a journalism degree, with his sights on San Francisco State. He hopes to take more photos of general news as well as sports. His dream is to one day accomplish something with his life, and cause as many problems to the status quo through storytelling and photography. "Who knows, maybe I'll destabilize a government or two before my mid-life crisis."

• M

Mateo PruskySep 15, 2022 at 8:41 pm

Please do not use the term “latinx.” It’s a very offensive term created by elite white people, and being forced onto a group that really doesn’t want the term used.

• N

Nick VidesOct 6, 2022 at 4:57 pm

Hi, Mateo. Thank you for reading The Oak Leaf. We used the term Latinx because that is what the students named their group.