Preview: Outside Lands returns for its lucky 13th iteration

Photo graphic courtesy of Outside Lands; photo illustration by James Domizio
More than 70 artists, including headliners Green Day, SZA and Post Malone, will play at Outside Lands Music and Arts Festival Aug. 5–7 at Golden Gate Park in San Francisco.

Outside Lands, San Francisco’s biggest music festival, will see SZA, Green Day and Post Malone headline a weekend of music, food and drink Aug. 5–7 at Golden Gate Park in San Francisco.

Outside Lands Music and Arts Festival, presented by Another Planet Entertainment, Superfly Presents and Starr Hill Presents, is the largest independently owned music festival in the U.S., and became the first major U.S. festival to legally sell cannabis on-site in 2019. After a hiatus in 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the festival returned in October 2021 with The Strokes, Lizzo and Tame Impala headlining.

More than 70 bands will perform at this year’s festival, including rappers Jack Harlow, Pusha T, Maxo Kream and Lil Uzi Vert; soft and hard rockers Mac DeMarco and Weezer; indie darlings Phoebe Bridgers, Mitski and Spellling; jazz virtuoso Robert Glasper; and hyper-pop duo 100 gecs. Grammy-nominated electronic artist Illennium will play a “Special Hometown Performance” on Sunday.

A poster featuring the full Outside Lands 2022 lineup.
SZA is scheduled to end the first night of the festival, with Green Day finishing off Saturday’s lineup and Post Malone closing out the festival on Sunday. (Photo courtesy of Outside Lands)

The SOMA Tent will feature house music artists all weekend long, including Claude Vonstroke, Dixon and Tokimonsta, in a tent environment inspired by underground clubs. DJs The Far Side, Noizu and Franc Moody will headline at The House by Heineken.

Nearly 100 restaurants and food trucks will spread across the festival grounds, with gluten-free, vegan and vegetarian options available at specified locations on the festival’s Food & Drink site.

At the Wine Lands big top, visitors can purchase offerings from more than 70 wineries like Ashes & Diamonds, Charles Krug and Preston Farm & Winery. For a hoppier experience, Beer Lands will feature 30 breweries including Golden State Cider and Dos Equis.

Three cocktail bars can be found at Cocktail Magic, along with music and magic performances: Everybody’s Tavern, inspired by the history of LGBQTIA+ pride in San Francisco; The Buttery Tipple, a “1970s-inspired lounge experience;” and SilverGirls95: a silver spirits bar inspired by 1990s “vaporwave” aesthetics.

Water refill stations will be available to fill reusable bottles brought from home or purchased at the festival.

The Clean Vibes Trading Post will offer rewards for collecting waste products; dozens of craft vendors can be found at the West Coast Craft x Outside Lands Marketplace; the Outside Grounds Annex will be home to games, giveaways and Monster Energy drinks; and the Palazzo Rosa by Stella Rosa Wines will be pouring wine, giving out complimentary flower crowns and offering a photo booth.

There are currently no COVID guidelines for the festival or active mandates in San Francisco County.

For more information on Outside Lands and Golden Gate Park, click this link.

Single and three-day GA and VIP tickets are still available at this link, along with tickets for shuttles from Bill Graham Civic Auditorium. You can sign up to be an Outside Lands volunteer at this link.

James Domizio
James Domizio, Magazine Editor
James Domizio (he/him) is an award-winning journalist and filmmaker in his sixth semester at The Oak Leaf, where he is a magazine editor. James will be graduating in May 2022 with degrees in journalism, film studies and humanities. James is a radio host, Twitch streamer, Patreon creator and musician. James lives in Sonoma and spends his free time watching "One Piece" and "Love Island" with his girlfriend Alex, editor-in-chief of The Oak Leaf.

• W

West BelowJul 10, 2022 at 4:58 pm

This reads like a native advertisement or a press release than an actual article. How many Bison Dollars did Outside Lands pay you to post this, James?

• J

James DomizioJul 11, 2022 at 4:26 pm

Hi West! Thanks for reading The Oak Leaf.

This is an “event preview” article, a staple of event coverage in which reporters reword and summarize information to inform the reader on upcoming events. You can find event previews on virtually any news site.

The Oak Leaf does not put out stories in exchange for payment, as that would be a conflict of interest. To post sponsored content without disclosing such, as your comment infers, would be against FTC laws. Moreover, Oak Leaf reporters and editors do not receive any payment for their work, let alone a currency that hasn’t been used at Outside Lands in five years.

Hope that clears some stuff up, West.