Sonoma County Student Film Festival: A showcase of student talent

Yareen+Avni%2C+director+of+Otherside+and+Auditions+for+the+King+talks+about+the+making+of+his+films+at+the+Sonoma+County+Student+Film+Festival+on+April+5+in+the+Carole+L.+Ellis+Auditorium+at+the+SRJC+Petaluma+campus.+
Abraham Fuentes
Yareen Avni, director of “Otherside” and “Auditions for the King” talks about the making of his films at the Sonoma County Student Film Festival on April 5 in the Carole L. Ellis Auditorium at the SRJC Petaluma campus.

The annual Sonoma County Student Film Festival featured student-made productions April 5 at the Carole Ellis Auditorium on Santa Rosa Junior College’s Petaluma campus.

The film festival premiered “best of show” films made by students invited to the event. “Best of show” films were chosen based on screenings prior the the film festival.

Screened films included: “James,” directed by Alyssa Holiday, “Resume,” directed by Brandon Douglas, “Reflection,” directed by Neo Wagner and many others.

An audience award was presented as well as a Director’s Choice award where the winners will present their films at Film Fest Petaluma on May 4. “Auditions for the King,” directed by Devin Lehrer, Candice Penland and Yareen Avni, was one of the films selected for the Director’s Choice award.

This was Candice Penland’s second year attending as a director at the film festival. “It’s cool to see [“Auditions for the King”] on a big screen since it’s [edited] in a small laptop,” Penland said. “When someone fresh looks at it, it’s cool.”

SRJC broadcast communications major Kaila Cotherman-Bohler, directed the event for the second year in a row.

“Every year I throw the festival I feel like no one is going to show, I’m passionate about film and it’s nice to have other people who feel the same,” Cotherman-Bohler said.

Digital communications instructor Brian Antonson was alongside Cotherman-Bohler this event for his seventh year at the series. His favorite part each year is seeing film students get together.

“Building your tribe is big … focusing on those people you click with to make a high quality story,” Antonson said.

For more information on the film festival, check out their Facebook page, and here for Film Fest Petaluma.