From Hitchcock to Hepburn: Petaluma Cinema Series presents a variety of dark comedies and cult classics for Fall 2012

The Fall 2012 Petaluma Cinema Series is underway with a variety of exciting films to appease movie buffs and novices alike.

The Cinema Series began Sept. 5 with a showing of Academy Award winning film “The Artist” and will present one film each Wednesday through Dec. 12 in the Carole L. Ellis Auditorium on SRJC’s Petaluma campus.

Started by Film and Media Studies instructor Michael Traina more than three years ago, the Cinema Series has become a place for the community to gather, discuss movies and expand their understanding of the complex art of films.

This season’s line-up includes films by famed directors Alfred Hitcock (Vertigo), the Coen brothers (Barton Fink) and Roman Polanski (Chinatown). Other commonly known films on the playbill include Guillermo del Toro’s adult fairytale masterpiece “Pan’s Labyinth,” cult classic “A Clockwork Orange” and possibly the greatest horror film of all-time, “The Exorcist.”

Other films showing this season are “A Separation” Asghar Farhadi’s 2011 Acadamey Award winning film for best foreign language film; “He Who Gets Slapped” a silent movie from 1924, which will feature live musical accompaniment by Los Angeles composer and musician Rick Friend; “Holiday,” the 1938 Katherine Hepburn, Cary Grant collaboration; “Martha Marcy May Marlene,” a 2011 independent film about a girl escaping the clutches of an abusive cult; “Hair” the 1979 hippie flick and “cinema Language” a multimedia master class with award-winning film and sound editor Vivian Hillgrove.

For the film festival’s 100th screening and the first replay of the series, the 1971 classic “Harold & Maude” will be shown Dec. 12.  One of Traina’s favorite movies, he said, “It’s well crafted cinematography and intriguing storyline made it the perfect movie to replay for our series’ birthday.”

The series’ next film will be “Vertigo” at 7 p.m. Sept. 12.

Tickets are $5 for the community, $4 for students or free with an Associated Student membership. A presentation about the film will begin on hour prior to show time and all are invited to attend.

For more information please visit www.santarosa.edu.