Bear Cubs return with dominant performance

Though they hadn’t played a game in two weeks, and had limited practices, the post-fire Bear Cubs didn’t miss a beat with a big win over the Mendocino College Eagles 7-0 on Oct. 24 at Cook’s Cypher field.

“Thankfully, everyone is OK. It was tough,” said coach Matt Brabetz after the devastating wildfires. “We couldn’t meet at the school. Luckily we scheduled a bye last week so we only had to postpone one game, [against San Francisco].”

The Bear Cubs [6-5-3] (2-1-2) couldn’t practice from Aug 9-18, but were able to find a spot and start getting back to work.

“Dominican University was very kind to us and let us come down and get some practice in,” Brabetz said. “Also, Sports City let us get some training in during the time off.”

The offense got off to a good start with a goal from SRJC sophomore Oliver Barajas. Barajas used his head to knock the ball in off a pass from his teammate and opened up the game in the eighth minute.

Later in the half, freshman Logan Zimmer got fouled and made the Eagles pay scoring off of a free kick from 30 yards away.

Coming out of halftime, the Cubs were quick to score again. In the 50th minute sophomore Juan Hernandez drove down the field and drilled it right into the net.

Nine minutes later, freshman Luke McCabe got fouled in the penalty box and made the most out of it by finding the right side off the net and scoring off a penalty kick to make it 4-0.
Two minutes later, freshman Adrian Garcia found the top left of the net from about 20 yards out.

They weren’t done yet when Freshman Kevin Rojas got a rebound and quickly put it back through and made it a 6-0 blow out.

In the 81st minute Sophomore Henry De Leon Signore topped off the game with one more score securing 7-0 lead off a header.

“It was a great game,” Barbetz said. “We got a lot of bench players in the game and they really stepped up in this game.”

The Bear Cub’s had seven different player score in their win against Mendocino.

The Bear Cub’s take on Cosumnes River at 4 p.m. on Oct. 27 at Sacramento.