Bear Cubs on roll: Nine straight after shutout, dramatic win

In a game that lacked much action other than a bit of first and fourth innings drama, the Santa Rosa Junior College baseball team defeated the Contra Costa College Comets 4-0 Feb. 17 for their eighth-straight victory.

Bear Cubs’ starting pitcher Kyle Mitchell struggled with his command early, walking the first two batters on nine pitches. He then gave up a single to the Comets’ three-hole hitter, giving Contra Costa a bases-loaded situation. Miraculously, the Comets’ cleanup hitter hit into a triple play on a soft grounder in front of home plate on the third-base side. It was too close to tell if the ball stayed fair or gone foul, but the umpire ruled it fair, leading the Bear Cubs out of a jam.

Comets head coach Marvin Webb didn’t agree with the call and gave the home plate umpire an ear full. The field umpire in the bottom of the first inning ejected Webb, due to him arguing another call.

The Bear Cubs’ offense produced all four of their runs in the bottom of the fourth inning. The inning started with a sharp single by Mitchell West. Then followed with a double by Jake Scheiner, then a walk by Ryan Walsh. The Bear Cubs got their first two runs from a walk to Bryce Nagata and a hit-by-pitch to Ryan Haug. A huge two-out RBI single by Weston Bryan gave the Bear Cubs a comfortable 4-0 lead.

Three pitchers for the Bear Cubs held the Comets to just seven hits and allowed no runs.

SRJC won 7-2 against Solano Community College Feb. 19.

The Bear Cubs’ take on Solano again at 1 p.m. Feb. 21 in Fairfield.