Bear Cubs lose one round shy from state playoffs

After a season of comeback victories, the Santa Rosa Junior College baseball team (29-14, 13-8) couldn’t pull out another miracle, ending its season in the sectional playoffs, losing 2-0 May 16 and 5-1 May 17 against San Joaquin Delta College.
In the Bear Cubs’ first two-series games, they forced game threes, winning both.
In the first game, the Bear Cubs lost  2-0, being shutout.
The Bear Cubs scored zero runs on five hits, leaving seven runners on base.
“Delta is a very solid team with quality coaching, very good pitching and timely hitting,” said assistant head coach Tom Francois. “The game on May 16 was a combination of excellent pitching from [Matt] Valencia, the lefty for Delta.”
The only scores of the game came in the third inning by the Mustangs when Phillip Clark hit a two-run home run, bringing in Zack Perugi.
“We competed well and did not get the hits we needed when runners were in scoring position,” said head coach Damon Neidlinger. “[Brandon] Haggerla did a good job on Friday.”
In the second game of the series, SJDC scored three runs through the first three innings.
It all started when Bear Cub pitcher Kyle Mitchell walked Phillip Clark.
Kris Bartlett then grounded out to Mitchell, advancing Clark to second.
Wyatt Castro singled, bringing in Clark, to put the first run on the board for the Mustangs in the top of the first inning.
The Mustangs put an another run on the board when Collin Theroux scored after a Pergui single, extending the lead to 2-0 SJCD in the second.
In the third, the Mustangs scored for the third consecutive time when Theroux grounded out to the shortstop, bringing in Bartlett, making the score 3-0 SJDC.
As in previous games, the Bear Cubs needed an another comeback for a miracle. The Bear Cubs’ comeback bid started when Taylor Martin scored on an error, giving the Bear Cubs their first run and only run of the series.
SJDC scored another run in the top of the seventh when Castro singled, bringing in Clark to make the score 4-1.
One more run was scored when Perugi scored after Andrew Urbistondo singled, extending the lead to 5-1 SJDC.
The Final score was 5-1.
The Bear Cubs scored one unearned run on seven hits.
“The second game difference was that we just couldn’t string any hits together,” Francois said. “As far as the season with our players, it was very special. We started with a 2-5 record in conference, yet they fight for every inning. They never, ever gave up on themselves and battled with every pitch and every at bat. I can’t begin to tell you how proud I am of these young men.”