Curry and the defense are key for the Warriors to go deep into playoffs

Photo courtesy of Rocky Widner

The Golden State Warriors need guard Stephen Curry and the Warriors defense to step up to extend its playoff season than last year.

The Warriors are one of the most exciting teams in the NBA. The fans are loud and the players are agressive on the court. The most explosive player on the team is Curry. He has been a lethal weapon for the Warriors with his on-range 3-pointers and is always on the defenses’ radar of to keep an eye on.

Curry was the seventh draft pick for the Warriors in 2009.  His debut season saw him shoot 42.2 percent from field goals, 43.7 percent three point field goals and scored 1,399 points.

Curry is second in the NBA in assists at an average 9.1 per game and is fifth in the NBA with an average 24.5 points per game. He averages 4.4 rebounds per game.

However, Curry has not been consistent this season when it comes to points: he will have an awesome game with 20 plus points and another game with less than 15 points. The games have been on his shoulders to win at times this season. That is one of the reasons why the Warriors haven’t been able to win close games or play at the level everyone have been expecting.  Curry takes and misses three-pointers constantly relying on the Warriors’ defense to step up, which hasn’t been happening.

Curry played well during the Warriors’ 10 game win streak. He scored 18 points in the first game against the Los Angeles Clippers Dec. 21 and drilled 36 points against the Miami Heat Jan. 2 and 29 against the Cleveland Cavaliers.

On the other side, Curry only scored 9 points against the Orlando Magic Dec. 31. Curry scored 34 points against the Chicago Bulls Feb. 6.

For Curry to push this team into the playoffs, he needs to calm down and focus and make those big shots when they’re needed.

The Warriors’ offense could also help by taking some of the heat off of Curry with help from Harrison Barnes and David Lee who are both good perimeter shooters. Overall, Curry is still one of the best shooters in the league.

If the 2014 NBA playoffs started today, the Warriors would be the no. 6 seed and they would play the no. 3 seed, the Portland Trailblazers.

Last year in the playoffs, the Warriors’ were eliminated by the San Antonio Spurs in the sixth game of the second round of the Western Conference Semifinals 94-82. One of the problems was turnovers the Warriors committed.  The Warriors can’t commit turnovers against the Trailblazers, let alone anybody else. When you get to the playoffs, you are playing the best and mistakes put teams behind the ball.

The Warriors’ defense has been atrocious at times this season. When it comes to the close games, the Warriors have choked being in the lead, like the San Francisco 49er’s quarterback Colin Kaepernick did in the close game against the Seattle Seahawks in the NFC Championship this year.  The Warriors’ defense is ranked 12th in rebounds, with 46 per game. That will be one of the keys for the defense—being quick at getting the ball after a missed shot.

Curry and the Warriors’ defense are troopers; by just eliminating the mistakes and the team can get into the Finals. It was almost there last year but came up short.

You’re almost there Warriors, you just have to reach a little farther.

Robert Marshall
Robert Marshall, Senior Staff Writer

• K

KeeeeelFeb 13, 2014 at 6:40 pm

Your point that the Warriors are a poor defensive team is a common misconception that only exists because of Golden State’s past reputation. In reality the warriors are actually a top 5 NBA defense this season. Their offense is the real problem. They’re only average offensively, and hover around the 15-16 ranking in that category.

Also, Curry has been extremely consistent, contrary to what you indicate. That Dec 31 game Vs Orlando that you point out is misleading. Curry only had 9 points because the warriors killed the magic and he played very few minutes. He also had 8 assists, by the way.