Marco? No more men’s water Polo

Santa Rosa Junior College men’s water polo rears up to shoot against conference opponent Modesto Oct. 9 at Quinn Aquatic Complex in Santa Rosa.

Life is a process of learning from one’s mistakes, and the Santa Rosa Junior College men’s water polo team will have much to reflect upon between now and next year’s fall season. The team closed out the season with losses at the final tournament meet.

The Big 8 Tournament, hosted Nov. 8-9 by Diablo Valley College in Pleasant Hill, left the Bear Cubs with two more losses. They lost to Delta 17-5 and Modesto 17-6 during the two day tournament.

“We lost to Delta the week before and I knew we would have to play the best game of our season to stay close to them,” said coach Tyler Denzie.

With only one true sophomore on a team of true freshman new to water polo, the inexperience was obvious throughout the season.

The only true sophomore, team captain C.J. Chapple, led the Bear Cubs in exclusions.

The year opened with losses that continued until the game against Merced. Ahead 7-6 at the half, SRJC was able to not only hold on but, showing signs of brilliance, shut out Merced in the second half and won the game 9-6.

The second and final win of the season came against Palomar during the Golden West Tournament. Denzie’s emphasis on teamwork throughout the season paid off again in a 12-10 victory for SRJC.

It was a tough year for men’s water polo, but good for learning.

They finished the year 2-27 overall and 0-7 in conference.