Valentine’s Day: a day of love or a sham?

Devin'sPhotweb

Devin Marshall
Staff Writer

This time of year is when the grouches of the world spring out of the woodwork.

I’m tired of hearing “forever alone,” and single people lamenting their lack of a partner.

In a world with so much hatred and negativity, we need a few more reasons to spread happiness and positivity. So what if it’s on a specific day? It’s fun to get into the spirit and actively celebrate an occasion with your partner. It can help couples become closer and strengthen the foundations of their relationship.

Instead of complaining about seeing happy couples around you, or lamenting the fact that your boyfriend or girlfriend wants to do something special on your least favorite day, stop and think. Life is short. Why be upset over a chance for romance?

You are in control of your own life. Celebrate when you get the chance to, and don’t listen to those who try to bring you down. Even if you are single this time around, doesn’t mean you will be forever, unless you keep up that kind of attitude. What do you know? That happy couple you resent walking down the street could be you and a loved one someday.

Gabe the Overcompensatorweb

Gabe Zermeno
Multimedia Editor

Valentine’s Day comes around every year. In the past it has been a great excuse to go out to have a nice dinner with an almost-guaranteed “back rub.”

This year, however, is different. I am single for the first Valentines Day in three years.

Before, I thought all of the people who hated this day were lonely jerks who had nothing else to do but rain on happy couples’ parades. Now I realize they are right and I am one of those people.

A single day to show your love to your significant other shouldn’t exist. If a couple has to save being romantic for one day a year, then society has a problem. Couples should express random random acts of romance with their loved ones rather than annoyingly throwing them in my face. I am doing my best to ignore Valentine’s Day unlike I have in previous years.

I could have saved so much time and money on women in the past. I regret ever having gone out my way to buy flowers or chocolates on this day just because society and Hallmark tell women that these things are expected.  God, I’m lonely.