More War 2012

This election season, the country has heard little debate regarding one of the fundamental cornerstones of the American presidency: foreign policy.

In a party system where nearly every ideal seems polarized, the topic remains entirely out of the spotlight as both the Republicans and Democrats take nearly identical stances on the key issues of today’s foreign policy. To the dismay of anti-war voters, the United States continues to aggressively escalate its military presence in the Middle East and elsewhere under President Barack Obama.

Since 2008, the United States accelerated its war in Afghanistan, as well as its CIA drone wars in Pakistan, Somalia and Yemen. The president waged war on Libya without congressional approval, and according to the Washington Post, has secretly deployed U.S. special forces to 75 countries.

The post 9/11 era and our country’s newfound obligation to “fight terror” has caused the American people to roll over and put their heads in the sand regarding their government’s actions around the world. Much like the country’s fear of communism caused the American government to fight costly and unsuccessful wars in East Asia in the 1950s and ‘60s, terrorism is responsible for our continued occupation in the Middle East today.

And so the drumbeat of war continues. Each week, the president personally authorizes assassinations from a “secret kill list.” Un-manned aerial drones drop bombs on the streets of Middle Eastern cities, killing civilians and creating further blowback against the U.S.

It appears the people of the United States will have little choice in regard to foreign policy this November. Presidential candidate Mitt Romney would look to out-do President Obama on defense and military issues if elected. The candidate said on CBS’ “Face the Nation,” that, if need be, he would wage war on Iran without congressional approval, stating that, “The president has that capacity now.”

Romney’s statement brings to light a key issue of post 9/11 foreign policy. The presidential oath commits the president to “preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States,” to the best of his ability. To wage war without approval from Congress is a direct violation of the United States Constitution.

American citizens have to ask, “Is violating the constitutional framework of this country OK if it is in the name of ‘fighting terror’?” Are we going to continue electing candidates who dedicate our tax dollars to costly and murderous endeavors in the most unstable parts of the world?

George Orwell said, “Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable.” Given the United State’s continued military presence around the world, along with the rhetoric of election season, it is important that average citizens look critically at the lack of choice they are being given regarding their government’s foreign policy.