Loaner laptops and free internet for students

Courtesy SRJC
SRJC and others are providing resources for students to help with online learning during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Need a laptop or Wi-Fi? Santa Rosa Junior College and other organizations are providing free resources for students to help with online learning during the COVID-19 pandemic. 

SRJC officials announced today the start of a laptop-loaning program for students, and internet service provider Sonic is offering three months of free internet and unlimited home phone service for students. 

The SRJC loaner laptop program has 350-plus laptops for students to use during the pandemic. SRJC President Frank Chong said, “Our goal is to help all students stay enrolled during this time and we believe that no student should fall behind due to a lack of technology.” 

Interested students should fill out the SRJC student laptop loan form on the college’s website. but due to the limited number of resources, applications will be screened and laptops will be approved first for students with the highest need. All applications will be kept and new students will be considered as more resources become available. 

Currently, approximately 100 laptops are available, but the college has purchased an additional 250 in anticipation of more students applying.

“None of this would have been possible without all of the amazing faculty, staff and administrators who have dedicated themselves to providing instruction, student services and resources in this new format,” Chong said.

Sonic is providing three free months of internet for students from kindergarten to college students and seniors who are 60 or older. The free internet service has no data cap, which is ideal for students streaming online classes.

Based on location, internet speeds range from 50 MB to 1 GB per second. Wi-Fi equipment and installation are also free. The free service has no long term contract so students can cancel on a month by month basis.