SRPD to conduct mass eviction at downtown tent city

James Wyatt
With garbage bins full of personal belongings, several activists helped the homeless recover their things. One woman displays her hand-made sign and protests the removal of their camp.

As the Santa Rosa Police Department prepares for a mass eviction of the long-standing homeless encampments beneath the Highway 101 overpass along Fifth, Sixth and Ninth streets, protesting activists, including Santa Rosa Junior College students, have also taken up residency at the the tent city.

Several activist groups including Homeless Action, the Police Brutality Coalition and North Bay Organizing held signs up to passing cars as the tent city’s occupants prepared their belongings ahead of the police’s arrival.

An SRJC student, who only identified herself by the surname Cox, was among the loose coalition of different activist groups present to raise awareness, assist the homeless and protest the City of Santa Rosa’s policies on homelessness.

“There were 20 beds in shelter and they’re all full,” Cox said. “Where are the rest of these people going to go? It’s winter and it’s going to start raining.”

“The fires did not discriminate; the fires displaced homeless people and Fountaingrove. But our recovery will discriminate. It’s a tiered recovery, if you were displaced and homeless before we don’t care about you, all the services were for fire victims, not to anyone that needs them and that’s wrong.”

Cox urged students to attend the City Council meeting today at 2:30 p.m. at 100 Santa Rosa Ave.

Scott Wagner, 58, of Homeless Action said there was a loose coalition of different activist groups present to raise awareness, assist the homeless and protest the City of Santa Rosa’s policies on homelessness.

Wagner, who is one of six trained legal observers present for the eviction, said the homeless shelters’ model isn’t effective in rehabilitating the homeless. Most of the overpass’s residents are not headed to shelters, but to Sonoma County land.

“The city is cynical, unfortunately,” Wagner said. “They’re turning their heads, hoping they go to the county so they don’t have to do anything about them.”

Wagner blamed the not-in-my-backyard mentality of adjacent neighborhoods for the eviction order.

Kathleen Finigan, 75, of Community Action acknowledged that the residents of nearby areas cannot be blamed for wanting the encampments removed.

“Ive met some people in the neighborhoods recently who were approached aggressively by homeless people,” Finigan said. “There also is public defecation and urination, and it’s understandable that they don’t like that.”

Finigan said the police should stop criminalizing homelessness and instead provide access to public toilets, hand-washing stations, shower trucks and garbage disposal.

Another activist who refused to give her name said many of the encampment’s residents are domestic-violence victims and elderly.

“Civilizations don’t have homeless grandmothers,” she said.

The SRPD issued a public statement that the encampment will be cleared anytime after 6 a.m. today.

Brandon McCapes
Brandon McCapes, Co-Editor-in-Chief
Brandon McCapes was asleep the night of the North Bay fires. He certainly didn’t start them. He was asleep, not pulling a “Nightcrawler.” Brandon grew up in Davis where he learned to be pretentious. After traveling around California, attending a stupid number of two-and-four-year schools, circumstances landed him in Santa Rosa where he wallowed in stagnancy until signing up for The Oak Leaf. Through manipulation, misdirection and malice, he became News Editor during the wildfires and Co-editor-in-chief Spring 2018. His hobbies include making up sources, asking leading questions and over-editing other people’s articles to make himself feel better.
José Gonzalez
José Gonzalez, Multimedia/ Spanish Editor
Jose Gonzales is a Journalism major in his fourth year at Santa Rosa Junior College. In his 5th semester at the Oak Leaf, Jose is Multimedia and Spanish editor. Jose faces difficulties with writing, but compensates with his multimedia editing skills. Even with his writing difficulties he still strives for success and self-improvement. Jose will be the first of his family to graduate from college with an Associates degree and hopes to find a job in the Entertainment industry that will pay him enough to take care of him and his family. 
James Wyatt
James Wyatt, Staff Writer

• N

NeighborNov 20, 2017 at 1:54 am

The differences are all over the place are you kidding? The people who lost their homes in the fire were working class citizens who are most likely barely holding on to the life that they had built for themselves here in this very expensive inflated County. The people living under the bridge on 6th Street or literally all on drugs or refuse to abide by the rules of the shelter which include no drinking and no rape. Yes women were raped out here nightly, there was drug trafficking, sex trafficking, overdoses, street fights ending in hospitalization/death. If you didn’t know that then you never came over to see for yourself and if you did you’re as blind as the next sheeple.