Petaluma Cinema Series showcases Oscar nominations

The 2015 spring Cinema Series begins Jan. 28 with the Oscar-nominated film “The Grand Budapest Hotel” and ending with the nineties classic “Pulp Fiction.”

Since the fall 2009 semester The Petaluma Film Alliance has hosted the Cinema Series on the Santa Rosa Junior College. Petaluma campus. The Media 10 class helps host the Cinema Series. The films are open to the public with general admission costing $5 and students costing $4.

The series is broken down into three sections. The first section of the film series is about last year’s biggest movies. Three of the movies, “The Grand Budapest Hotel,” “Boyhood” and “Birdman,” are currently nominated for best picture. The middle section has films chosen to showcase a particular aspect of film, such as production design, acting or cinematography. For example, “Under the Skin” was chosen for its use of sound. The final section showcases world cinema. Class instructor Michael Traina said, “I like to start and end with something crowd pleasing.”

The Cinema Series will also feature discussion with some of the directors. On Feb. 11 director Jen McGowan will discuss her film, “Kelly & Cal.” She is the first female director of a narrative film to be present at a screening of her film at the Cinema Series.

“Movies are about entertaining people,” Traina said. The Cinema Series is for “helping the audience decode the images.”

The Grand Budapest Hotel January 28

Boyhood February 4

Kelly & Cal February 11

Birdman February 18

Only Lovers left Alive February 25

Hero March 4

The Children’s hour March 11

Almost There March 25

Election April 1

Under the Skin April 8

Salaam Bombay! April 15

The Celebration April 22

Performance April 29

Bagdad Café May 6

Pulp Fiction May 3