Free Comic Book Day, May 3

Free Comic Book Day, May 3

In search of something to do this weekend that’s light on the wallet?

May 3 is Free Comic Book Day; poor comic enthusiasts rejoice. Two stores to check out in Santa Rosa are Outer Planes and Comics For the Win. In Rohnert Park, visit the Comic Book Box.

For a list of offerings, visit http://www.freecomicbookday.com/.

Outer Planes on Mendocino Avenue will be open at 11 a.m. Saturday.

Comics include side stories and couple-page story arcs. While these are much shorter than the typical comic, these issues are still sought after, and they bring more attention to the hobby.

“If Free Comic Book Day picks up a title that has never been done before or it’s a preview for something that’s coming out for the fall, and say a couple years down the line that particular comic book gets really popular, like ‘The Walking Dead,’ then that free comic book is gonna be worth a little bit just because it was the very first appearance or beginning of something,” said employee Alex Lopes.

As such, the store has one rule for shoppers to follow: a limit of five comics per person. “It’s to try to make it fair,” Lopes said. Otherwise, people have been known to walk out with a full stack of any one comic.

“There’s actually quite a large list of stuff coming out for Free Comic Book Day,” Lopes said. “Anywhere from brand new comics that you’ve never even heard of or read before and previews for that coming out, or stuff like ‘Rocket Raccoon’ because of the ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ movies coming out, as well as a lot of kid’s stuff. Because it’s mainly for kids.”

In addition, there will be a sale on graphic novels, 50-cent back issues, a costume contest with voting on Facebook running through Sunday and a giveaway for ToyCon tickets in June.

The title Lopes is looking forward to the most is the hardback issue of “Mouse Guard,” published by Archaia Studios Press.

Comics For the Win on Santa Rosa Avenue has some attractions of its own.

An Artist Alley will be set up with tables outside for regulars to sell prints of their art and do commissions. There will also be a face painter present. All items in the store will be on sale.