Bear Cubs lose in playoff quarterfinal

The women’s soccer team came to battle Nov. 22 defeating San Francisco City College 2-0 in the 2nd Round of Playoffs.  Both teams were well matched and fought hard throughout the entire game.

“We were pretty even coming out in the first half,” said head coach Crystal Howard. “We both had chances to score but were unable to make it happen.”

The Bear Cubs caught a break late in the first half when San Francisco City College’s goalie was hurt and taken out of the game. SRJC had an advantage and fought to penetrate San Francisco’s defense.

“Sometimes you need things to go your way,” Howard said. “Unfortunately their goal keeper was hurt but taken out of the game.”

However, the Bear Cubs went on to win the game.

Both teams remained scoreless throughout the entire first half. The Bear Cubs were able to hold the ball up field, but San Francisco’s defense played hard and kept the ball out of their net.

“We kept on pushing and getting shots on goal,” said sophomore defender Amanda Galbraith. “By halftime we were warmed up and ready to take it to them. We knew they were with a disadvantage having their goalie hurt so we had to capitalize on the situation.”

In the second half SRJC came out playing fast and immediately pushed the ball up field and scored within the first two minutes. Nikki Elliott assisted Galbraith who sent the ball into the back of the net.

“The first goal, I knew I had to stay composed,” Galbraith said. “Nikki played a perfect ball over the top and it was just me and the keeper. I new I had to crush it in the corner of the net.”

The Bear Cubs’ momentum started to build, and San Francisco started losing ground.

The Bear Cubs scored again when Annika Cerini assisted Galbraith and scored her second goal giving the Bear Cubs the lead 2-0.

“I was near the goal when the ball came to me,” Galbraith said. “It felt good to put another one in the back of the net.”

The Bear Cubs defense remained solid until the whistle blew.

Unfortunately for the Bear Cubs, their next match was on the road against rival Folsom Lake College in round three of the California Community College Athletic Association women’s soccer playoffs on Nov. 26 at Aubrey Hill Stadium.

Heavy rains and wind made for what turned out to be two impressive defensive performances for both team.

Neither team was able to score in regulation and the game came down to penalty kicks. The Bear Cubs came up short 2-3, giving Folsom Lake the win and knocking the bear Cubs out of the playoffs.

The Bear Cubs finished a successful season with an overall record of 17-2-6 including playoffs.