Bear Cubs win 10-5; keep win streak alive

With a strong Northwestern wind whipping through the city, the Bear Cubs baseball team [18-7,

7,3] won its seventh straight game, beating Cosumnes River College 10-5 Tuesday, March 31 at

Cook-Sypher Field.

Catcher Ryan Haugh continued his torrid streak at the plate, connecting for four hits, three

RBIs and scoring four times. Bear Cubs ace Garrett Hill described Haugh as one of the

hardest working players he has ever seen, in which someone who expects nothing less than the best from himself and

strives to always continue improving.

The Bear Cubs took an early 8-1 lead, fueled by RBI singles from Jake Scheiner and Bryan Weston, before the CRC

offense broke through with a four-run fourth to make it 8-5. CRC had all the momentum, and looked like it might

pull off a comeback for the ages, but it was not to be.

With a dominating performance, Bear Cubs pitcher Evan Hill came on in relief and retired 11 straight batters before

finally giving up a hit. He took the air out a CRC dugout that began to believe they had a chance to steal a win.

Assistant coach Tom Francois called the performance huge, and pitcher Garrett Hill

continued, “Evan is always one of our best guys out of the bullpen; someone who always seems

to want the ball,” Garret said. “The fact that he was able to come in and shut them down was

huge because it allowed us to take back the games’ momentum.”

The Bear Cubs next game is at 2:30 p.m. Thursday,  April 2, against Consumnes River

CRC. Then at 1 p.m. Saturday, April 4, the Bear Cubs host CRC in the series finale at Cook-Sypher Field.