SRJC Sports Medicine on the rise

Santa Rosa Junior College’s Sports Medicine and Athletic Training program is one of the most sought after two-year programs in the nation. One of only a few in the state and the only one of its kind in the region, it comprises the school’s 20 sports teams and various dance groups associated with the school.

“I would like to think we have a positive impact on all of our athletic teams,” said athletic trainer Monica Ohkubo. “It is our goal to treat all student-athletes with the same respect and attention. Our job is to keep our student-athletes safe and healthy, and it doesn’t matter if you are a starter or a redshirt.”

The program was founded in 1971 with the intent of combining in-class coursework correlated to sports medicine and athletic training, with hands-on experience with the college’s numerous sports teams.

Students of the program enroll in various kinesiology courses, in addition to certain athletic and dance classes.

In the spring, Ohkubo and fellow program leader Dr. Nancy Chinn attended the NASPA Excellence Awards in Baltimore, where they were presented the 2014 Grand Silver award for SRJC’s Concussion Management Program.

Ohkubo and Chinn stress the importance of incorporating computerized baseline testing while also providing comprehensive education to over 1,500 student-athletes. Furthermore, all contact sport athletes at SRJC must complete an in-depth concussion education course and pass a baseline assessment before beginning their sport season.

“It really is amazing how dedicated and talented the entire department is,” said SRJC President Dr. Frank Chong.

The hands-on approach taken by the program has proven beneficial at both limiting and treating injuries experienced throughout its services.

“This program better prepares students with hands-on experience by working in the athletic training room with hundreds of athletes who are seen throughout the year,” said Daniel Salinas, a current student in the program. “I could not be happier with my experience in the athletic training program.”

Students are presented the opportunities to tape-up various athletic injuries, as well as treat their battle wounds. They are also privileged to observe SRJC’s world-class trainers firsthand.

“What makes our department great are the people that work in it. The faculty, coaches and support staff do what it takes to get the job done,” Ohkubo said.

The mindset of wanting to be the best is consistent throughout SRJC’s vast athletic programs, and is ultimately responsible for the profusion of sustained achievements regarding the school’s athletics.

“We all work hard and do what we can to create the best athletic and academic experience for our students in kinesiology, athletics and dance,” Ohkubo said. “This leads to our successful athletic teams and constant drive to be the best.”