Bear Cubs are building momentum

Kayleen Belda runs down the ball to make a touch pass on a Bear Cub scoring chance against ARC Oct. 7 at Sypher Field.

After snapping Modesto Junior College’s win streak Oct. 3, the Santa Rosa Junior College’s women’s soccer team, in their pink breast cancer awareness jersey’s, [7-3-1,3-1-1] took the field against American River College , where the Bear Cubs proceeded to defeat ARC 3-1 Oct. 7 at Cook Sypher Field.

The Bear Cubs came out with intensity, really controlling the ball in the first half.

When ARC had the ball, the Bear Cubs’ defense was right on, blocking every shot and keeping them away from the goal minimizing ARC’s scoring chances.

The first goal of the game for the Bear Cubs came early. In the third minute forward Kayleen Belda kicked a ball that scooted into the goal, with an assist from Taylor Halstenson, putting SRJC up 1-0.

The next score came in minute 11, when freshman Darcy Forsythe found the back of the net getting an assist from Annie Studdert to put another Bear Cub point on the board, making the score 2-0.

“I feel pretty good and comfortable than I have been all season,” Forsythe said.

Forsythe was one goal away from a hat trick and credits her consistency and help from her teammates with the two goals.

With the game 2-0, the Beaver goalie, Stephanie Doss, saved it from being 3-0 when she made an amazing save on a Julia Lambert strike.

In minute 32, Forsythe scored her second goal with an assist from Halstenson, making the score 3-0 with still over 10 minutes remaining in the first half.

Time winding down, it looked like ARC was going to be shutout in the first half, but midfielder Gabrielle Krewer squeaked a ball in, putting the Beavers on the board.

The half ended with a score of 3-1.

The second half had tighter defense on both sides. The Bear Cubs had many opportunities to score but came empty.

With Studdert assisting many of her teammates, she had a chance to score a goal, but a nice kick went wide left.

In minute 63, off of a free kick, Natalia Picano booted a ball that flew over everybody’s heads. It looked like it was heading in, surprisingly at the last second, it veered left.

“We’re doing a lot better,” Picano said. We struggled a little bit with possession and today we had a lot of composure switching the ball and it looked good. [Head coach] Tracy has done an amazing job working with our strengths and positioning. I think we are going to do really well later in the conference.”

With a minute left, ARC had a last gasp of air to close the gap but the Bear Cubs’ defense stood tall, holding the Beavers till the last whistle was blown, making the final score 3-1 SRJC’s favor.

Head coach Tracy Hamm said the key to the victory was implementing the game plan, working on switching the field and being positive.

The Bear Cubs won 3-0  against Sacramento City College Oct. 9.

The Bear Cubs play Diablo Valley College at 3:30 p.m. Oct. 14 in Pleasant Hill, and then 3:30 p.m. Oct. 21 against Sierra College in Rocklin.

The next Bear Cubs’ home game is 3:30 p.m. Oct. 24 against Cosumnes River College at Cook Sypher Field.