Bear Cubs snap Modesto’s win streak; tie 2-2

With 38 minutes remaining, the Bear Cubs women’s soccer team trailed an undefeated Modesto Junior College Oct. 3, until a pair of Bear Cub goals scored by Natalia Picano evened the score, resulting in a 2-2 tie.

Ten minutes in, Jenna Viss managed to put a loose ball into the net, giving MJC an 0-1 lead.

At the top of the 18-yard box forward Julia Lambert took a touch in towards the center, beating the goalkeeper who had come off her line to defend, and appeared to be on a breakaway to an open goal before being tripped up by a recovering defender. The Bear Cubs were awarded a free kick rather than a penalty kick.

Picano then hit a driven shot on target, but the goalkeeper managed to get a hand on the ball and tipped it over for a Bear Cub corner.

SRJC goalkeeper Morgan Jernigan made a huge save when she dove and pushed a ball wide that appeared to be headed into the goal, resulting in a MJC corner, where in the next sequence Jernigan continued to keep the Bear Cubs in the game with another crucial stop on a driven shot on goal.

The Bear Cubs ended the half with a good opportunity that began with Taylor Halstenson playing the ball over the top. Jayci Mariani then flicked the ball into the box where Kaylene Belda delivered a cross, but Darcy Forsyth’s header was stopped from going into the net.

SRJC managed to hold the score at 0-1 till halftime, while creating several scoring chances for themselves throughout the first 45 minutes.

Jernigan made a good initial save when an open MJC midfielder received the ball at the six for a two-touch shot, but an MJC forward capitalized putting the deflection away and extending the lead to 0-2.

Eight minutes later, Picano shot a free kick 50 yards out that bounced in front of the goalkeeper and went over her head cutting the lead to 2-1. Picano with another window of space 40 yards out, pulled the trigger and narrowly missed above the right hand corner.

Jernigan found herself in a one-on-one with a MJC forward but managed to make another game changing save coming off her line to secure the ball. Despite MJC scoring two goals, Jernigan had a great game, making multiple major saves.

In minute 63, Picano hit another shot placed into the upper left hand corner of the net for the equalizer.

“They’re a great team, they moved the ball extremely well. It was great to be the team to break their winning streak,” Picano said.

MJC entered Friday’s match against the Bear Cubs with a 10-0-0 record; although MJC’s unbeaten streak continues, SRJC put an end to its winning streak.

The Bear Cubs are back in action against American River Collegeat 3:30 p.m. Oct. 7 at SRJC’s Cook Sypher Field.