SGA update

Student senate discusses Columbus Day, the transit bus program and Take Back the Night event

Columbus Day’s long and contentious history influenced the Student Government Assembly (SGA) to vote to reassign the Oct.12 holiday to celebrate indigenous peoples’ in a Sept. 21 session.

“The Student Government Assembly recognizes the importance of our Indigenous roots,” the resolution states. “We see it to be the duty of educational institutions to promote the fearless discussion of uncomfortable truths. These truths include a discussion of the invasion, conquest, genocide, and environmental destruction of Indigenous lands and Indigenous peoples that still continues today.”

In other business of the session,Hannah Cagle, vice president of student health and founder of Feminists United, announced the Take Back the Night dance, which will be held from 6-9 p.m. Oct. 7 in the Student Activities Center.

Brian Albee, manager of Sonoma County Transit (SCT), presented the usage statistics of the free bus ride program for students.

The program was initiated Jan. 1. Now into the second semester, reports state that as of Sept. 18, student ridership exceeded 850 passengers for 14 out of 24 school days for the fall semester. SCT also found that the majority of students riding are from Santa Rosa Junior College, and not Sonoma State University.

The cost to run the program this year is $258,000. If they choose to renew for next year, the projected cost is $295,000.

“The program has proved to be a success,” Albee said. “We’re hoping to break even in September.”

The free ride program for veterans has also been successful. “It has grown as well, and is widely accepted by the veterans,” Albee said.

If the program’s success continue, there could be a possibility of more age ranges. “I don’t believe K-12 students would [cost] more than what the college program is,” he said.

The SGA approved two students to attend the annual California Community College Student Affairs Association Student Leadership conference. The meet-up runs from Oct. 23-25 in San Jose. The cost is $450 per person out of the conferences fund.

Student Victoria Sheber applied as Assembly Member of Student Rights, but the motion was tabled due to a lack of time.