Raise a glass, help raise money

Devin Marshall
Brew owner Alisse Cottle (left) and employee Loren Hansen (right) pose with some of the items up for auction.

The Brews for Lake County fundraiser runs 7 – 11 p.m. this Thursday. Sept. 17 at Brew, 555 Healdsburg Ave. in Santa Rosa. During this time, 100 percent of the profit from all beers sold will go to the Redwood Credit Union Fire Relief fund, which directly aids victims and relief efforts of the communities damaged by fires.

More than ten people have offered donations for the fundraiser auction, which includes art, clothing, tattoo certificates, jewelry, hair cut certificates, wine and brewery tours.

Zohn Mandel helped to organize the auction items. “This event is so important for the communities affected by the wildfires because as immediate material donations are great, monetary donations to the relief efforts are just as important, if not more,” she said. “Some people lost absolutely everything and have to rebuild from the ground up. That may take a while, so right now our efforts should be focused on immediate relief and to provide monetary contributions consistently to help rebuild after the dust settles.”

Mandel describes herself as a lover of the arts. “I wanted to set up an artist auction to give the local art community a chance to lend a hand in a way that provides an outlet to those creative souls to donate their works and crafts for a good cause,” she said. “I got an amazing response from multimedia artists, photographers, sculptors, musicians, hairstylists, tattoo artists, and even pastry chefs. Santa Rosa is such a lush community full of creative people and we have so much to offer to those in need.”

There will be performances by musical guests including Charlie Davenport, Andrew Maurer, Lindsey Thomas, Francesco Catania and Cory Oleson. Music starts at 7 p.m.

“Within a couple days, this benefit had over 300 attending via Facebook, and artists and musicians from all over the county approached anxious to donate and participate,” Catania said. “This event is significant and huge in the sense that it shows exactly how immensely willing and eager individuals in our community are to pull together and help our neighbors. I think it reflects the goodwill of our generation and I hope this attitude spreads.”

Event open to all ages. Alcohol on sale for ages 21 and up.

For more information, call Brew at (707) 303-7372, or search for “Brews for Lake County Fundraiser” on Facebook.