Bear Cubs athlete faces life in prison

Courtesy of Motel 6
The Motel 6 in Rohnert Park where Paul Threadgill, 23, allegedly shot and paralyzed Kenisha Jackson, 24.

A Sonoma County judge ordered a Santa Rosa Junior College Bear Cubs football player be held for trial on charges of attempted murder and assault with a firearm after he allegedly shot and paralyzed a prostitute in a Rohnert Park hotel in July.

According to court records, Rohnert Park Police detective Deborah Lamaison testified during a preliminary hearing that ended Aug. 31 that SRJC student Ronnie Paul Threadgill, 23, shot Kenisha Jackson, 24, of Sacramento after Threadgill paid Jackson to have sex with him July 6 at a Motel 6 in Rohnert Park.

Lamaison testified that Threadgill left his designer prescription glasses at the scene when he fled after the shooting and a bloody set of boots at his apartment linked him to the crime, according to court records.

Sonoma County Judge Julie Conger ordered Threadgill to stand trial in Sonoma County District Court. Conger also ordered Koa Sibley, 19, a roommate of Threadgill’s, stand trial as an accessory to the crime. Police testified Sibley apparently drove Threadgill to and from the crime.

Information obtained through the Sonoma County Sherrif’s office shows that Threadgill is being held at the Adult Detention Facility on a $1.11 million bail on felony attempted murder and use of a deadly weapon charges that carry a maximum penalty of 32 years to life in prison with the possibility of parole. Threadgill is also facing gun-crime enhancements that carry additional penalties of up to 70 years.

The enhancements, ranging from the use of a firearm in the commission of a felony to committing an attempted murder that caused great bodily harm, including paralysis, are included in the charges against Threadgill because Jackson was paralyzed from the neck down in a crime that involved the use of handguns, according to Sheriff’s Office records and the California Penal Code.

Assistant District Attorney Keith Shaw, who is handling the case, said his office does not have any plea deals on the table at this time. Shaw also said Sibley’s and Threadgill’s cases will be set for trial on Wednesday, Sept. 16.

Threadgill’s father, also named Ronnie Paul Threadgill, was executed by lethal injection in Texas on April 16, 2013 for a shooting during a 2001 carjacking that left a 17-year-old dead. The younger Threadgill was 9 when his father went to prison for the murder.

SRJC Bear Cubs head football coach Lenny Wagner told ABC7 news in a July interview that he had counseled the younger Threadgill during his father’s execution and that he had once referred Threadgill to student health services about the situation. Threadgill is listed as a freshman Free Safety #47 on the Bear Cubs’ 2013 roster. Threadgill was not part of the team during the 2014 season.

Ellen Maremont Silver, spokeswoman for SRJC, said in a written statement, “We are saddened by this waste of human potential… The justice system must take its course.”

JoshuOne Barnes, Staff Writer

• M

Margarita GomezApr 8, 2016 at 12:02 am

Something happened in the hotel room the night of the shooting. Sibley and the whole Santa Rosa football team were robbing prostitutes. Sibley is the one who told Threadgill he could make alot of money robbing prostitues. The football coach new about it. Now everyone wants to make Threadgill the fall guy. Guys from the football team came to court to make sure no told that they were part of it. You people making comments need to get your facts straight. Santa Rosa Junior College Football Players have been robbing prostitutes for years. I hope Threadgill tells his side if what happened. I believe he is protecting someone. Now he’s going to take the fall. What man pimps his on girlfriend or wife. The Pimp is lying he was in the hotel room hiding.

• S

SaprkyDec 21, 2016 at 6:31 pm

Why not go to the police if you know that?

• S

Sandra JohnsJan 31, 2016 at 11:30 pm

Someone was praying for the young lady to change her life. Unfortunately we must be careful what we ask for. It was extreme, but only GOD knows what really happened in the hotel room. Pray for this young lady, and all young people who make life altering choices.

• B

B. BenjaminSep 14, 2015 at 8:32 pm

Life in prison is what Threadgill richly deserves.

The shame is that the Oak Leaf and many others associate this dirtbag with Santa Rosa JC.

• S

Sandra JohnsJan 31, 2016 at 11:24 pm

It is a sad time for everyone involved including the families of each Individual. Don’t judge! No one is without faults or sins. May the justice system show this young man mercy. Many are suffering now…… pray for them ….