Day Under the Oaks unites community

JoshuOne Barnes/ Oak Leaf
The Redwood Empire Chinese Association Traditional Lion Parade marches.

With a mix of science, art, dance, sports and people from all over the community, Santa Rosa Junior College’s Day Under the Oaks (DUO) event on May 3 was a perfect blend of fun and education for all.

A campus tradition since 1978, this year honored Larry Bertolini, past SRJC trustee for 17 years. According to college police, 5,000 to 7,000 people attended the event.

“Given the weather it’s been slower than last year, but everyone seems pretty mellow and excited to be here at the same time,” said Cricket Swanson, president of the SRJC Naturalist Club, who had a booth at DUO.

Clubs, sports teams, departments and outside venders made up more than 150 booths at DUO, offering food, games, activities, information, demonstrations and shows.

The SRJC hockey team had a booth set up where participants could shoot foam pucks into nets.

“We got a lot of participation by just about every youngster who walked by the booth,” said SRJC student and hockey player Stephen Wolmarans. “A big part of coming out to these kind of events is just to connect more with the community and especially the student body.”

Another club who made themselves known to the community on that day was the Black Student Union.

Members of the BSU paraded around campus with Black Lives Matter signs and chants along with having a booth to inform others about their club.

“We were just having a march for Black Lives Matter with all the police brutality that has been going on. We just want justice for everyone,” said BSU member Darika Ramsey. “Our goal for Day Under the Oaks is just to get our message across, and maybe have more people join in our Black Student Union so they can be more informed about what’s going on.”

BSU President Elias Hinit said they were raising awareness about the racial bias that’s embedded within America’s criminal justice system and the extrajudicial killings of African Americans.

On the Doyle patio, scheduled groups performed a variety of demonstrations, including the SRJC Hip Hop Dance Team Mayhem, a Hawaiian musical performance and a quartet recital by Now and Zen.

Across the lawn, several SRJC bands performed on the commencement stage, such as the Symphonic Band, Jazz Band and Jazz Combos.

A plethora of food options awaited attendees at the food trucks in the Bertolini Circle and scattered around campus.