Wild fox recently calls our school home

Joseph Barkoff/Oak Leaf
A common practice among wild foxes, this vixen decides to make her den in an urban environment, specifically Analy Village in Santa Rosa Junior College.

What does the fox say? It’s a question that’s been plaguing fans of novelty music since Ylvis’s “The Fox” in 2013, and students at Santa Rosa Junior College may finally have an opportunity to learn the answer to this pressing question. If they keep their eyes up on the trees, they may discover that this semester they have a new type of classmate: a plucky fox who has chosen to make its home in a large oak tree near the Bertolini Student Center.

While it is not unusual for students to spot quails or squirrels running around campus, seeing a fox is a rare occurrence, particularly during an active semester. Foxes may visit campus a few times during the quiet summer, but their natural fear of people usually keeps them away during busier times. This fox seems to have overcome this instinct and has become a part of the college community, making appearances all throughout campus.

Though the sight of this frisky fellow brightens the days of some students and faculty, others are understandably concerned about a wild animal freely roaming around campus. According to the Humane Society, unless rabid or manhandled, foxes are not aggressive to humans and are more likely to flee from them than fight them. In fact, due to their timidity, it’s unlikely the fox will even approach someone on campus.

As the fox poses no harm to students and faculty, the administration seems to have accepted its presence and, for the time being, is allowing it to stay without charging any enrollment fees. If students listen closely, perhaps they will learn exactly what it is that the fox says.