“Footloose”: SRJC theater arts department set to cut loose this April.

Tom Chown/ SRJC Theatre Arts
Sydnie Johnson and Erin Galloway, stars of the upcoming musical “Footloose,” pose.

Kick off your Sunday shoes. “Footloose” is coming soon to Burbank Auditorium at Santa Rosa Junior College.

The play is directed by Wendy Wisely, with choreography by Lara Branen, vocal direction by Jody Benecke and musical direction by Nate Riebli.

“Footloose” features Erin Galloway as Ren McCormick and Sydnie Johnson as Ariel Moore

The play is based on the 1984 film of the same name starring Kevin Bacon. It tells the story of a small town that needs a hero, a hero who’s got to be strong and got to be fast and got to be fresh from the fight.

Chicago-born Ren McCormick moves to the small town of Beaumont only to discover that dancing is illegal. McCormick must defy local law and teach these small town people how to cut loose.

Dean Pitchford and Walter Bobbie wrote the stage adaption. Pitchford wrote the film screenplay and co-wrote some of the songs used in both the film and play.

Wisely is interested in bringing the themes and energy of the film to the stage. “I am a child of the ’80s. I fondly remember the movie with Keven Bacon,” she said.

The play is a musical that uses songs from the film, including “Footloose,” “Holding Out For a Hero” and “Let’s Hear It For The Boy.” Wisely said doing a musical with pop songs is just a different genre and more accessible to a general audience. “I sang some of these songs. The cast already knew some of them,” she said. She hopes the audience has a fun time.

“I want to see people dancing in their chairs; people dancing out in the aisles,” Wisely said.

“Footloose” plays at 8:00 p.m. April 17, 18, 23-25, 30, May 1, 2, at 2 p.m. on April 19, 25, 26, May 2 and a final show at 3 p.m. on May 3.