“Cinderella”: Return of a classic tale

Courtesy of Eggplante.com
Cinderella (Liliy James) steps out of her enchanted carriage as she arrives at the ball.

Conventional wisdom says all the world’s stories are just variations on seven basic plotlines. There is no denying, however, that some variations are more popular than others.

Disney’s “Cinderella” is the latest in a long line of movie adaptations of the age-old tale. As a matter of fact, this movie is in the same vein as last year’s “Maleficent”; a live action movie based off one of Disney’s classic animated properties. But while “Maleficent” took the original plot of “Sleeping Beauty” in a radical new direction, this movie faithfully sticks to Disney’s original “Cinderella,” telling the story we already know while taking great pains to make it as enchanting and entertaining as possible.

Ella – Cinderella a cruel nickname for her in this version – is a more interesting character than past adaptations.This is partly because Lilly James does a good job as the titular character, bringing out her inherent sweetness without being cloying, and partly because there is more focus put on Ella.

The audience actually gets to see what her life was like before her parents died, and she makes her own dress for the ball instead of her animal friends making it for her. This Cinderella has more personality and is more proactive than Disney’s last version, in which she was a pretty face who only passively reacted to what was happening to her.

Prince Charming (Richard Madden) is given similar development; he’s named Kit in this story, and his relationship with his father is greatly expanded on, to the point where they have arguably some of the best scenes in the movie.

Cate Blanchett as the wicked stepmother is also fun to watch, especially near the end when we catch a glimpse of the human being behind the cruel façade. On the down side, Sophie McShera and Holliday Grainger have very little to do as the wicked stepsisters.

The movie has a more realistic interpretation of the fairy tale then past adaptations. Costumes and accents appear to be invoking a specific period in history. Politics of the past briefly surface from time to time; for instance, the fact that Ella’s house is her parents’ ancestral home is given as a reason why she stays with her abusive foster family. The film also significantly downplays the more fantastic elements of the story – Ella still talks to animals and considers them her friends, but the animals don’t talk back.

In stark contrast to this is the Fairy Godmother scene, where magic and the fantastic are in the forefront. Helena Bonham Carter steals the show in her one prominent scene, hilarious in her strangeness, playing the Godmother as quirky but with hints of wisdom. Even without the extravagant special effects, her appearance would still be one of the most memorable.

The best scene is unquestionably the ball, as it should be. This is due in large part to the art direction, which is top notch throughout the movie, but in this scene commands your attention like nothing else. Everything from the extravagant outfits to the larger-than-life ballroom is breathtaking. That iconic scene when Ella descends the grand staircase in a splendid dress to meet the prince has never looked better then it does now.

“Cinderella” doesn’t try to be anything other than a very good retelling of the Cinderella formula. If you’re sick of that formula, you won’t find anything to change your mind here, but if all you want is a worthy adaptation of a famous fairy tail, then this movie delivers in spades.