She said: “A spankin’ good time”

dailymail.com.uk
Dakota Johnson and Jamie Dornan star in “Fifty Shades of Grey.”

4.5/5

It is hard for an adapted screenplay to live up to the novel, but “Fifty Shades of Grey” did so with its romanticism, humor and great acting from the two protagonists.

This steamy film is based on the first novel from the “Fifty Shades” series by author E.L James. The plot develops when literature student Anastasia “Ana” Steele meets handsome yet tormented billionaire Christian Grey, who introduces her to his bondage and discipline, dominance and submission, sadism and masochism(BDSM) lifestyle  and persuades her to be his submissive partner.

At the beginning of the film Steele is portrayed as a conservative girl who would rather throw herself into books than guys until she meets Grey and undergoes a change. After meeting Grey she seemingly falls prey to his power, success and gifts, but ultimately flips everything around and becomes the powerful one. This is best seen during their “business” meeting, where she sets hard limits, spells out what she refuses to do and refuses Grey’s advances by leaving the meeting.

Grey is a confusing character with multiple personalities. During his initial interview with Steele, he is intimidating and interrupts her when she tries to ask him questions. He shows his caring side while taking care of a drunken Steele. Then his wild controlling side emerges when he ties Steele up and spanks her both in and out of his “playroom.” Not knowing when he’ll go from charismatic to dominant is anticipating and leaves you at the edge of your seat. In the end his multiple personalities lead to barely any character development, but it raises the question if he’ll change in the sequel.

The editors could have done a better job; jumping forward with the plot and the relationship between the couple too fast. Going from the interview, to coffee and then to their first sexual encounter in 30 minutes, this doesn’t give the viewers enough time to grasp the build up of the intense relationship between the couple.

Actress Dakota Johnson’s portrayal of Steele is phenomenal. Johnson floats her lines rather than speaks them, making the character both an intelligent, coy and unstructured woman who’d be alluring to a man with a drive for dominance.

Jamie Dornan delivers the mysterious billionaire by bringing out his obsessive, controlling side when he and Johnson are in his “playroom” and he tells Johnson’s character what to do to please him. He makes the character believable, his acting is effortless and it’s as if Grey was a real-life person.

“Fifty Shades of Grey” is intense and brings mystery to answers we hope to discover in the two upcoming sequels. It is a film worth watching.